Best Ever Kale Salad Recipe
Kids who are involved in making vegetable dishes are more likely to eat them.
This massaged kale salad recipe is a winner for kids who love to get their hands into things and play with their food.
It’s no wonder that kale is taking a central place on American plates, now.
Kale is hailed as a superfood. It is associated with improving skin appearance, eye health, bone health and fighting cancer. As part of of the Brassica family, it helps the liver in detoxification.
- It’s high in carotenoids, which lower the risk of many cancers, including lung, esophageal, mouth, pharynx and bladder cancer.
- It is a rich source of iron, calcium, B-vitamins, fiber and health-protective phytochemicals. Doesn’t it taste good just hearing about the benefits?
Just be sure that you are serving it from organic farms, as kale is now a highly sprayed crop.
Serve the massaged kale salad with herbed grains, like couscous or quinoa.Check out the herbed quinoa recipe here that I served at my wedding reception.
Massaged Kale Salad
NOTE: Massaging the kale with salt and acid is what tenderizes the leaves so that they are enjoyable to eat. Otherwise, raw kale is quite fibrous.
Serves 4 people
- 1 large bunch kale, washed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds or walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped green or red onion
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries (or other dried fruit)
- 1 small or half of a large apple, diced
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta or blue cheese
- Remove the kale leaves from the stems by tearing them off from the bottom to top. Place leaves in bowl.
- Add the oil and salt. Rub it into the leaves gently. This tenderizes them
- Add vinegar or lemon juice. Toss to distribute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Toss again.
- Adjust seasonings as needed. Give THANKS!
There are SO MANY yummy kale recipes. How do you like serving it?