Your Salad is Bored. Here’s how to spice things up.
I have a confession . . .
Things just aren’t like they used to be between us. You’re so often just taking the boring traditional salad route. Life could be so much more exciting.
I’ve been sneaking into other salad bowls. But before you get upset, let me show you what I’ve learned about tossing a salad.
Variety makes me hum, and I really need more of it. Add any of these things to keep life from being a bore:
- Nuts or soaked seeds
- Crumbled crackers or chips
- Olives – try any type, darling
- Cheese – especially blue cheese, feta or brie!
- Fruit, like berries, orange wedges, apples or pears
- Veggies – like peas, bell peppers, grilled zucchini
- Canned fish – like Sardines, Oysters, Canned salmon, Shrimp
- Beans – especially pinto, kidney, garbanzo, or black beans
- Fresh corn
- Sprouted soy items – like grilled tofu, crumbled tempeh
- Leftover meat, like turkey, chicken, hot dog, hamburger
(This is part II of “Your Salad Called”)
Here’s what to do to tap into my exotic side. . .
Candied and savory nuts are splendid in my lettuce beds!
- Lettuce greens, raspberries, snap peas, feta, salted pistachios.
Dressing: Olive oil & Balasamic vingarette
Add variety for a delicious party in your mouth!
- Spinach & Chard, Kumquats, Sesame Seed, Cocoa Nibs, Pistachios, Sliced Dates.
Dressing: Olive oil, Balsamic Vinegar
I’m great with fish and herbs.
I’m also great in the morning.
I’m saucy when steamed.
- Slivered almonds, sprouted mung beans, lemon zest
Make me feel pretty. Dress me up in flowers.
Make me pretty with colors, darling.
Make me attractive, Sweetie!
Eat me with berries and toasted almonds.
Eat me with figs.
Eat me with cheese and crackers
Heirloom tomatoes with basil, cheese and crackers
Eat me with fruit
- Watermelon, tomato, feta, and pistachio. Click here for the complete recipe.
Blend me baby! I LOVE a mess of colors. WOOOO HOOOO!
Dip Me, Baby!
- Everything was such a whirl that it’s hard to say exactly what happened in this veggie batch. I believe that basil, kale, spinach, tomatoes, onion, garlic and avocado showed up to the party.
- The humans dipped crackers and broccoli in us. They spread us on toast. But most of it they used as a base for the next soup.
- Use my fiber to create a yummy dip.
- Add herbs and canned beans.
- I can also be frozen and used as a soup base later.
Now it’s your turn, sweetie. Tell me if I’ve inspired you to bring our relationship to new heights. What will you do with me to make things more exciting? Are there any new ideas here that you haven’t thought of before? Please share your comments below.
And thanks for sharing this with your friends and on social media.
P.S. If you haven’t already, read my first love-letter to you, here it is: “Your Salad Called”,
Blend your vegetables: Super-Size your wallet
Choosing your vegetables: Dirty dozen and clean fifteen