Acorn Squash Stuffed with Quinoa
If you love quinoa, pesto and squash, you’ll love this simple recipe. I’m the queen of scrapping together dinner with random refrigerator loners. This is what resulted. Let me know what you think!
Ingredients: 3-4 cups leftover quinoa (can also use barley, rice, amaranth, etc) 1/3-1/2 cup gluten-free pesto ½ chopped onion 1/3 cup cranberries ¼ -½ cup chopped Brazil nuts
1. Mix ingredients with leftover quinoa. Adjust the pesto if needed.
2. Carefully remove a 2×2” square from the top of 2 squashes.
3. Fill acorn squashes and cover with the squash tops.
4. Cover and bake on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees until tender.
5. Give thanks to the farmers who produced your food. Enjoy.
*Bonus: the Brazil nuts are loaded with selenium, which is now deficient in most of our soils where modern agricultural practices have depleted the soil. Selenium is an essential antioxidant, which protects our thyroid, supports the immune system and helps protect us from cellular damage. It is important to eat selenium-rich foods, as supplements can have negative effects. How do you use quinoa?
— Frances Arnold (@FrancesLArnold) January 29, 2014