My mother taught me the value of giving something to the world that is beyond your own needs. There is no shortage of opportunities to grow through giving.
Thanks to Mom, it’s a part of my lifestyle to support causes I value. For years, my husband and I regularly volunteer and make financial contributions.
At Namaste Nutritionist, one of our biggest missions is to to make a difference in the lives of others, as we know we are all connected. When one corner of the world suffers, we all suffer on some level. This is why it is a high value to give generously.
This is who we support regularly, either through time or money:
- The International Association for Human Values (IAHV.org): I volunteered with them after the Hurricane Katrina disaster in New Orleans, and we helped with rebuilding and relieving symptoms of trauma. This organization provides disaster relief, education for prisoners, support for traumatized war veterans, education for marginalized women and youth, and offers courses to help youth build self-esteem.
- Environmental Working Group: this is a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to protecting human health and the environment.Â They’ve developed useful tools to help consumers understand how to safely shop, such as the Dirty Dozen/Clean Fifteen, the Safe Cosmetics Database, and Sunscreen Safety resources.
- Kiva International: Help people around the world grow their business with micro-lending.
- Giving back to the Dietetics profession
- Dietitians for Professional Integrity: I am a co-founder of this group. We advocate for financial transparency and ethical sponsorships within the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. It is our aim to provide American citizens nutrition information that untainted by food industry interests.
- Integrative and Functional Nutrition Academy: This is an exciting new program that is offering a much-needed avenue for functional and integrative nutrition education to Dietitians. I am on the Advisory Board for the IFNA to support its mission in providing cutting-edge nutrition education.
- North Sound Dietetic Association: We coordinate and provide local, affordable continuing education for Dietitians in the Snohomish County Region. I am on the board as President-Elect for 2015-2016.
- Interns: I regularly partner with interns and intern hopefuls. There is a serious need for professionals who will work with interns so that they can gain the hours and training needed to become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist.
The following are companies whom we contributed to regularly in the past.
- Save Rural Nepal: Two of my newly-married friends were nearly killed by the devastating earthquakes in Nepal in 2015. They narrowly escaped death (read about their incredible story here). After the earthquakes left millions of Nepalese survivors in desperation to find food, shelter and medicine, my friend Jennifer and Andrew Maiorana responded by starting the #saveruralnepal crowdfunding campaign. They are trying to raise $25,000. Their mission is to quickly, responsibly, and affordably help the citizens. As the Maiorana’s put it, the aid system in Nepal is broken.
- The Unstoppable Foundation: Ignorance and lack of resources is a terrible recipe for poverty and abuse. This program helps communities address these problems by obtaining the following: clean water sources close to home, education for girls and boys, education for parents to earn an income, sound nutrition, and healthcare access.
- No Kid Hungry – Help end child hunger in the US
- Indie Gogo – Boost someone’s great idea with a small, medium, or large donation.
Spending time with Angelique Kidjo, during a summit at the United Nations for the Millenium Development Goals.