Lightning Quick Pecan-Kale Quesadilla
Chronic over-scheduling is a habit I learned in college and am still learning to unlearn this habit.
Over-commitment also taught me how to be nimble and quick in the kitchen. Sometimes though, “nimble” + “quick” = blackened (burned) sandwiches because I decide that I can throw my clothing on while my sandwich is grilling.
But for the most part, I’ve learned it wisest not to multi-task while cooking, and if I decide that I must (again, out of compulsive habit), I now mostly choose to multi-task on other kitchen activities so that I am near my cooking foods.
This recipe is a way that you can prepare a quick quesadilla in less than ten minutes (if you don’t putz around). You can dress it up with salsa and a large salad or just take it plain and naked with you for a little grab and go goodness.
If you have the room on your griddle, complete both quesadillas at once.
My iron skillet is a little too small for two quesadillas to lay flat side by side, but when I’m hustling, I squeeze them both in together and make it work!
Makes 2 quesadillas.
- 2 organic corn tortillas
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 cup jack or mozzarella (organic, of course!) – shredded or sliced
- Place each corn tortilla on a hot griddle (over medium heat). Pile each tortilla with 1 cup of chopped kale. You’ll think this amount of kale is NUTS, but just you wait til you see the shrinkage!
- Artistically line your cheese over the kale
- Sprinkle each tortilla with 1/4 cup chopped nuts.
- Cover pan with lid until kale wilts and cheese melts. Voila! Melts in just a few quick minutes.
- Fold over and press down with your spatula to seal the deal.
- Serve with salsa and a sprig of celery florette, salad, or whatev. Or, take it naked as a grab ‘n go snack.
Know anyone who could use an easy kitchen recipe? Send them this! Thanks for reading.